We answer members' pet training and behavior questions in live sessions, which are recorded and provided here for easy access. Please log in or sign up for a Student or Pro membership to see the video on this page.
Questions in this video:
- My dogs fight with each other sometimes just when I let them outside. What can I do to make them stop? [Grisha did a training demo with Peanut about teaching a release cue by name, as originally mentioned by Patricia McConnell in the resources mentioned below.]
- Grisha's topic: Overstimulation versus understimulation, what's the right amount of training and what should we focus on? Also has information on shaping.
- I'd like to work with our local shelter. What are some tips you have for getting a shelter to pay attention to you, as a trainer?
- You see things that others do with their pets. When do you say something?
- Next week: "In BAT first position, our shoulders / elbows are relaxed. With a small dog, can we cheat that to avoid my dog getting tangled in the long leash?"
Here are some of the links that Grisha referred to (or should have):
- Behavior.org article on B.F. Skinner and shaping a dog to jump up on a wall
- Patricia McConnell and Karen London have a great book called "Feeling Outnumbered" and Dr. McConnell has a DVD also called "Feeling Outnumbered: How to Manage a Multi-Dog Household"
- Deb McMullen's book "How Many Dogs?" is also great! Click here for the eBook.
- Grisha has filmed a few member library videos on fighting in the home. They should be available in the next few months.