We answer members' pet training and behavior questions in live sessions, which are recorded and shown here. Please log in or sign up for a Student or Pro membership to see the video.
Dog training and care questions in this video:
- Can you explain more about "frustrated greeters" What typical behaviours do they exhibit? What causes these behaviours? Along with the BAT leash skills & working on one on one greetings, what else can be done to help these dogs? Do you have any videos of the greetings required for these dogs on the site?
[I started to answer this last Thursday. Today I went over a BAT session with a Rhodesian Ridgeback and Bean.]
- When working with the people who are training for the CBATI certificate, who do you teach the trainer to use positive reinforcement with the clients, i.e. be good teachers as well as good trainers?
- Bean was adorable rolling on his back with the toy you gave him in the Q+A on Tuesday.
- When working with a client whose dog is fearful or reactive, how should a trainer demonstrate, rather then approach the dog or hold the leash which could be too scary or stimulating to the dog? How can an owner explain this request to the trainer?
- how much staring should you permit in passing another dog on a walk. zen is clearly in the yellow to orange zone. if were to not interfere she would start wagging her tail and want to approach. if I try and move her I have to pull her away. she keeps turning back). I am concerned about the other dog and the staring.
I worry about trusting other owners if we were to try and greet the other dog
- part 2
at the vet's office, in parking lots etc she walks right by other dogs when needed to get from point a to point b. her staring is the same as with people she is obsessed with. there is part of this that is pure zen behavior and just not normal.
- I went over some puppy socialization info (handstands and hairdryers).
Links I referred to in this session (or could have):
- Barking Mad: BAT and Other Techniques for Frustration (self-study course)
- Bean and the Handstand on My YouTube Channel (today's other videos were unlisted)