We answer members' pet training and behavior questions in live sessions, which are recorded and shown here. Please log in or sign up for a Student or Pro membership to see the video.
Dog training and care questions in this video:
- Cousins have an intact, puppy mill, mini-poodle in their building who has not been trained and has sadly bitten people and other dogs. If the family who own him had him neutered do you think he might develop less fearful and aggressive tendencies or would that not change without training?
- BAT for a hyper-greeter/jumper. I'd appreciate advice on implementing BAT in a very small apartment for a 4-year-old female bulldog who is unable to calm down when guests come over (jumping/licking/in your face) for over 2 hours! We have started working on Dr. Overall's relaxation protocol, self-control (choice) exercises, etc. I've recently purchased the BAT 101 and Barking Mad courses and read through them (haven't started practicing with her yet). I'm just not clear on how to implement the techniques in our tiny apartment since I have the feeling that if I use Mark & Move I will increase her frustration if I move away, and if I use moving a step towards the guest as a reward for relative calm, she will also not be able to handle it.
- My dog is biting at the vacuum cleaner. How can I fix that?
- I am thinking about getting another dog. How many is too many? I have 4 already.
- When I teach Stay, I'm seeing some stress signs. Should I worry about that? If so, what should I do?
- Special topics:
- Bean Jumping into my arms (talked through the jumping video)
- Answering Facebook question related to my barking video: Grisha, do you think Bean thought that barking was part of a shaping exercise even though he did not get reinforced or was he already frustration barking before this video? I was wondering if he thought maybe it was a behavior chain not negative reinforcement. I've noticed that some dogs with extensive shaping backgrounds often get into some odd superstitious behavior and chains.
Links I referred to in this session (or could have):
- My Future of Dog Training online seminar is next Tuesday, November 10, 2-3:30 pm Pacific time.
- Vacuum cleaner video in my YouTube
- I also talked about the vacuum cleaner in the August 6 office hours
- Stay is my Monthly Challenge for November
- View the list of upcoming BAT Chats for pro members of ABBA. The first one is Thursday, November 12. Participating by watching, sharing video, etc. is a great way to improve your BAT skills.