In the Office Hours, I answer members' pet training and behavior questions in live sessions, which are recorded and shown here. Please log in or sign up for a Student or Pro membership to see the video.
Dog training and care questions in this video:
- Do dogs know how much time is passing (ie when alone in house 1/2 hour vs 1-2 hours)
- I like this! its fun. its like when my dad watches sports and they do highlight reels and play by plays except in this situation it actually benefits me because I understand. I would like more of this. Maybe students could send in videos of their dogs if they are interested in interpretations and doing this (what you are currently doing with your video) could be helpful
- In the video that you showed with Zita, Bean and the other small dogs (last week), if one of these dogs were barking excitedly the entire time, would you consider that part of his/her play style, or would you consider the dog to be over threshold?
- My dog is generally fearful, but gets snarly & lunges at dogs. BAT work is helping. I was wondering, however. Since he is also generally fearful around new people, would it be advantageous to have him meet the helper dog's 'handler' in a separate session before working with a new helper dog + handler?
- We have known our neighbour since we both moved in (27-30 years) and have a great relationship. Her dog is also fearful reactive to dogs.We got new fences a few years ago that dont show through (each panel slides and snaps together so you cant see through). This cut down on the fence fighting although there is one spot where there is a bit of a peep under the fence where my dog will go to and freeze and then flip out.It seems to be he can hear and or smell that our neighbour dog is out side. Help! (from the ABBA Facebook group)
- I also talked about:
- Bean with cows and horses (video with cow)
- Bean being a little snarky with a German Shepherd puppy (video)
Links I referred to in this session (or could have):
- The prize I was trying to locate for you guys was the SqueakNSnap bear, which lets you take a photo using a squeaky toy plugged into your phone. These are the prizes for the May Monthly Challenge.
- My YouTube video of Mark and Move with Bean and the Cows
- Petzi Treat Cam, and the Pet Cube - Pawbo does look like a better option for video because it records and sends to dropbox and may have sound on the video. Petzi does not do video and Pet Cube does not have sound on the videos, but both have sound in live streaming. NOTE - I don't recommend using the laser feature with dogs on any of the devices. It can create obsessive-compulsive (OCD) light-chasing behavior that's very hard to get rid of. If it's just a short-term thing you might also just try setting up a Skype account for your dog and use your computer.