In the Office Hours, I answer members' pet training and behavior questions in live sessions, which are recorded and shown here. Please log in or sign up for a Student or Pro membership to see the video.
Dog training and care questions in this video:
- Could you demonstrate the thing with Bean and the treat?
- do you believe in dogs having a hierarchy?
- Hi Grisha! Ref. your video 'I change my mind about crate' - When using it with a puppy for potty training, would you say that you would never use a crate that is only big enough for the dog to turn around or only use this if the dog is going to be inside the crate for no longer then 2 hours?
- Hello G! Two questions: 1)Ref. Guarding/Territorial in general, is it true that bitch vs bitch would b more territorial than male vs male / female 'coz they're natural function i.e. protect their pups 2) Is it true that if two bitches start 'arguing', there's more chances for them to get into a proper fight then two male dogs due to the same reasons as question 1? Thanks x
- Pups who haven't had vaccinations and vets that say they can't go on the ground....I was always told that they should be carried around and introduced to ppl whilst in their arms to help with socialisation. [Talk about that in the context of the arms as a safe space, which was discussed in the small dogs video]
- To what extent should dogs work things out on their own and when should the humans step in?
- Could you talk a little about over-arousal and how we can help our dog (jrt x 1.5yr) be calmer in situations he finds exciting. We've done a lot of mat work, protocol for relaxation and LAT which has helped considerably at home but he is still acts crazy and unable to cope (with things he would usually be fine with) when over-excited. eg. sitting in cafe or friends house.
- "Goals" for BAT setups.
For BAT setups, is it appropriate to have a fairly specific 'goal' in mind? Or is it simply best to let things unfold as they may, be observant, and prompt/react as appropriate to keep stress low?
If you do sometimes have 'goals', what are some examples?
- I also talked about:
- Using an intermediate bridge to work on relaxation (video example was brushing Bean)
Links I referred to in this session (or could have):
- Self-Study ABBA courses are a good way to get some structured advice. I mentioned the Barking Mad course for frustration and overarousal
- Special ABBA early access to my YouTube series, "I've Changed My Mind"