In the Office Hours, I answer members' pet training and behavior questions in live sessions, which are recorded and shown here. Please log in or sign up for a Student or Pro membership to see the video.
Dog training and care questions in this video:
- My dog keeps playing with a leash on our walk. Whenever she does that, I immediately stop moving, but she doesn't care about it. Now, she thinks it's more fun to play with it since we recently switched to a long BAT leash. What should I do?
- You mentioned in your last Q&A that you being the handler in a BAT setup would just cause frustration for Bean. I was dogsitting and thought i could practice a BAT setup with my dog even though i knew there wasnt going to be a problem. I used my daughter as the handler. My dog was so frustrated that she couldnt get to her and the intro went bad. Should I use an unfamiliar person as the handler?
- A colleague and family, (2 children have a dog with both fearful and reactive tendencies. Recently family members were away, (a change in the dog's schedule,) and the dog both eliminated on the carpet and was 'mounting' the bed in the parent's room? Would you think that the mounting of the bed could be related to feelings of anxiety due to the sudden change? No urinary tract infection... TY
- Once your new dog arrives, how would you determine when you can leave her and Bean loose together when you are not home?
- I'm at the point in muzzle training where Freyja is wearing it and I'm building duration by using movement (a "wait" and then recall cue). At this point I'm not sure what is better for making the muzzle seem "normal", wearing it longer and longer around the house, or taking the training outside and using it around exciting things? So far I have stopped each session before any pawing happens.
- Our dog has suddenly started resource guarding against other dogs; sticks, toys, food etc. This only happens when he is really over aroused. We are working on it using Jean Donaldsons suggestions in Mine + Fight. But I am interested in why it started? Around that time he was snapped at by another dog for going near her ball, can dogs learn these behaviours after being on the receiving end of them?
- My question is how to handle my dog when he shuts down in agility class due to fear. Fear is either from flies or bangs that surprise him and sound like fireworks. He has different levels of shutdown. 1. Stress, but will intermittently take treats, 2 won't take any treats, 3. tries to go back to the car.
- What would you suggest for an English setter, who is great in the house and in the backyard, but loses his brain walking on a longline with birds present.. He "sets" beautifully, then rushes to the bird and can't be redirected. He can do Touch at times, unless the bird is close
- I also talked about:
- Plans for introducing Bean and the new dog
Links I referred to in this session (or could have):
- BAT 2.0 Book
- Sound desensitization
- YouTube sound effects for flies (random search brought this one up, there are more)