In the Office Hours, I answer members' pet training and behavior questions in live sessions, which are recorded and shown here. Please log in or sign up for a Student or Pro membership to see the video.
Dog training and care questions in this video:
- My dog is getting more and more scared of sudden sounds outside. He has always been very worried when we go out for a walk and I have done a lot of counterconditioning and games to make him feel more confident and safe. It was going fine but now thanks to the hunting season things are getting worse. I can’t make him relax anymore once he gets scared until we get home.
- Dog Sanctuary/rehab facility. We are going to "rewrite the book" if you could do this what would your "must haves" be for the dogs. In whatever capacity - environment, staff, supplies, set up. If money is no object what would be your top requirements? Thanks in advance!
- My dog is cautious by nature, especially of new things, yet he enjoys going on walks in new areas. After this past new years he was traumatized by fireworks and I feel it affected his nervous system for some months. I backed off on the training and tried to do calming things and empower him and set up a lot of routine. Now we are getting back into agility training and it is recommended to introduce him to one new thing everyday. I would imagine there should be a balance between routine and novelty. He is 3 1/2 years old. Ive had him since a puppy. What are your thoughts on this situations and your thoughts on how to handle the balance between routine and novelty for all dogs, but especially one like him, sensitive. Thanks
- Hi Grisha, I think you said (or I read it somewhere else) that for the time I'm doing loose leash training with my dog, I should attach the leash to the back clip for training sessions and to the front chest clip in situations where she might pull. Do you think this makes a big difference for the dogs or is it just an "emergency" solution?
- Can you elaborate on the B complex vitamin benefits?
Links I referred to in this session (or could have):
- My Anders Hallgren interview is in the library for Animal World Superstars (ABBA Pro members)
- Anders Hallgren's book, Stress and Anxiety in Dogs is available on his website and also on Amazon (authors earn a LOT more from their own websites, so order there if that works for you)
- Rescue Dog to Super Dog - TV show with positive dog training by Jo Rosie Haffenden and Nando Brown