If you have purchased this eBook, please log in with the user info that you created.
Grisha Stewart's acclaimed book, "The Official Ahimsa Dog Training Manual: A Practical, Force-Free Guide to Problem Solving & Manners," is available here as an eBook and as a printed book through the sources below. This book is a general dog training manual for the most common problems and necessary training for dogs in our homes.
NEWLY UPDATED! Now includes more illustrations, leash handling skills, and information about BAT 2.0 for reactivity.
SAMPLE: Click to read the first chapter
This 160-page book is an introduction to dog training that started as the companion exercises for Ahimsa Dog Training classes in Seattle. It has practical exercises that start from a basic level and work up through advanced work on the most important behaviors for dogs to know. This quick manual is helpful for dog trainers to use with clients or new ideas for exercises and for breeders to share with new puppy parents.
The Ahimsa Manual includes info on how dogs learn, clicker training, how to get rid of bad behaviors (puppy biting, fear/aggression, separation anxiety, etc.), and how to teach good behaviors, like coming when called, the name, watch, relaxation, sit, down, stay, wait, touch, walking on leash, give, go to your bed, and more! Illustrations help make the information clear and entertaining.
Look at the bottom of this page for the exact topics covered plus reviews by Paul Owens and other dog behavior and training experts.
Purchase the eBook
eBook Formats: You should be able to read the book on pretty much any device. You'll get access to all of these file types with your purchase.
- MOBI (Amazon Kindle device and apps)
- EPUB (Nook, iBooks, Google books, etc.)
- PDF (Adobe on your computer, iBooks, etc.)
Save on your ebook by getting a Building Blocks membership at the same time. Members get discounts here in the Campus Store, plus unlimited access to tons of video lessons.
Purchase: eBook: Ahimsa Dog Training
* Student Members get access to tons of how-to videos, discounts in our Campus Store, and access to other resources in our community. Doesx not automatically renew.
** Pro Members get all of the Student Member benefits, plus bigger discounts, Animal World Superstars interviews, and more features for dog trainers. Hobby trainers are welcome - you not be a working professional. Does not automatically renew.
Table of Contents (subject to change):
- COMMUNICATION & LEARNING GO BOTH WAYS
- UNDERSTANDING YOUR DOG'S COMMUNICATION
- LEARNING THEORY
- Four types of consequences for behavior
- Focus on the good stuff
- Killing with kindness: a note on rewards
- CLICKER TRAINING WORKS!
- WHAT IS A CLICKER?
- WHY DOES THE CLICKER WORK?
- GETTING RID OF PROBLEM BEHAVIORS
- JUMPING & OTHER ACCIDENTALLY TRAINED BEHAVIORS
- PUPPY BITING & CHEWING
- 15 TIPS TO STOP BARKING IN CLASS
- FEAR, FRUSTRATION, AND AGGRESSION
- Counterconditioning and systematic desensitization
- Behavior Adjustment Training (BAT 2.0)
- DON'T LEAVE ME! PREVENTING SEPARATION ANXIETY
- HEY, THAT'S MINE! PREVENTING & DEALING WITH RESOURCE GUARDING
- GOOD HABITS ARE HARD TO BREAK!
- TEACHING RELIABLE BEHAVIORS
- CHOICE POINTS-SET YOUR DOG UP FOR SUCCESS
- NAME GAME
- RECALL CUE-COMING WHEN CALLED
- Things to avoid when training Come
- General tips for Come
- Treat Party-the emergency recall cue
- Practice all the time
- Gradually make it harder
- Treat fetching-A fun way to train and play!
- More recall games
- RELAXATION ON CUE
- RELEASE WORDS-ARE WE THERE YET?
- Release cue
- End of session cue
- TOUCH-TARGETING NOSE TO HAND
- LOOSE LEASH WALKING
- Click for attention / Click for position
- Turn and follow
- Focused walking (Touch and you're heeled!)
- Being a tree or backing up
- Speed training
- Penalty yards
- Silky leash technique
- LEAVE IT
- GIVE OR DROP IT
- 101 THINGS TO DO WITH A BOX
- GO TO YOUR BED
- CRATE TRAINING
- ADDING A CUE TO ANY BEHAVIOR
- GOOD LUCK AND KEEP IT UP
- RESOURCES FOR EVEN MORE HELP
- ABOUT THE AUTHOR
"Of the thousands of dog training books out there, it's rare finding one that has something new to say or presents the science of positive training in a unique and meaningful way. Grisha's new book, the Ahimsa Dog Training Manual, does just that. Clear, concise, informative and extremely user-friendly, this book deserves a prominent place on every trainer's bookshelf."
Best-selling author of "The Dog Whisperer; A Compassionate, Nonviolent Approach to Dog Training" (Adams Media, 1999) and "The Puppy Whisperer A Compassionate, Nonviolent Guide to Early Training and Care" (Adams Media, 2007)
Renowned Stunt Dog Performer and author of best seller "101 Dog Tricks"
APDT Past President and of "Your Outta Control Puppy," "Super Simple Guide to Housetraining," "Quick & Easy Crate Training," and "Puppy Care and Training"
Where to Buy the Other Versions
- eBook in Other Languages
- Wholesale is available via NACSCORP and Ingram
Common mispellings: ahisma, ahinsa, ashima