Start Date: any time!
Puppy classes were a big leap forward in the socialization of our dogs, but too much time is still spent on 'obedience.' This course has 25 lessons that cover essential skills for puppies and their human families. You'll learn to socialize well and also train puppies to choose to play our silly human games like grooming, vet care, etc.
This course includes BAT for puppies, empowered counterconditioning techniques, and clicker training, among other things. The dog-geek discussions are primarily meant for professional dog trainers, but the how-to portion will be accessible to 'regular' puppy parents.
"The way the course is run with video and written explanation means it is great for new or experienced owners. It is also suitable for dog trainers that want to join with a puppy. The format allows flexibility for the student to fit it in around life, and join a great community of trainers.”
”The content has really focused on important life skills and has introduced new exercises each week. The delivery is in a very easy to read format, and being able to upload videos is really great for self development. Grisha and the TAs are very helpful and supportive and have done an excellent job in sharing their knowledge. I would highly recommend this course for any level of handler." - Katey A
This course was written by Grisha Stewart, MA, CPDT-KA, KPACTP. If you are enrolled in this course and have an ABBA membership, you can participate in the Facebook group for peer feedback. This is a member-moderated group for Grisha's students.
Note: If you already registered for this course elsewhere, you get free access here in the BBA. [Access Request Info]
Here are the list of topics. The links will work if you sign up for this course and log in.
- Course Overview (Syllabus)
- Lesson 1: (Philosophy) What is Socialization?
- Lesson 2: (Philosophy) Empowerment and the Perfect Puppy
- Lesson 3: (Philosophy) Two-Way Communication
- Lesson 4: Training Autowatch, Taking Treats Gently, and Housetraining
- Lesson 5: Pause to Practice
- Lesson 6: (Social Skills) Socialization With People
- Lesson 7: (Social Skills) Socialization with Other Animals
- Lesson 8: BAT Leash Skills
- Lesson 9: Pause to Practice
- Lesson 10: (Needs) What Dogs Need, How we Know, and Problem Behavior
- Lesson 11: (Needs) Food Puzzles
- Lesson 12: Targeting and Crate Training
- Lesson 13: Pause to Practice
- Lesson 14: (Cooperation) What Cooperation Looks Like, Grooming
- Lesson 15: (Cooperation) Vet Care, Walks
- Lesson 16: (Cooperation) Training Head Through Harness, Restraint, Paw Targeting
- Lesson 17: Pause to Practice
- Lesson 18: (Environment) Surfaces
- Lesson 19: (Environment) Sounds, Moving Objects, Parallel Play
- Lesson 20: (Environment) Proprioception
- Lesson 21: Training Stop/Stay/Wait and Targeting Head Into Objects
- Lesson 22: Pause to Practice
- Lesson 23: (Problem Solving) Problem Sources, Skills, Philosophy
- Lesson 24: (Problem Solving) Training Bring/Drop, Food Bowl, Recall
- Lesson 25: Pause to Practice
- What’s Next?
Save on your course by getting a Building Blocks membership at the same time. Members get discounts here in the Campus Store, plus unlimited access to tons of video lessons.
Purchase: Empowered Puppy Online Course
* Student Members get access to tons of how-to videos, discounts in our Campus Store, and access to other resources in our community. Doesx not automatically renew.
** Pro Members get all of the Student Member benefits, plus bigger discounts, Animal World Superstars interviews, and more features for dog trainers. Hobby trainers are welcome - you not be a working professional. Does not automatically renew.