- This event has passed.
Online Seminar: Real Dog Yoga with Jo-Rosie Haffenden
December 15, 2015 @ 2:00 pm - 3:30 pm$29
This webinar was great! Please click here to view or purchase the recording.
From the back of Jo-Rosie's book, Real Dog Yoga:
If you have already purchased this presentation, please log in with the user info you created.
Yoga is defined as the stilling of the senses. It is a practice which involves people taking and holding specific postures, focusing on the present, and working on physical stimulation as a pathway to still themselves mentally. Real Dog Yoga shares the same aims [but for dogs], as well as improving focus, body consciousness, and dog-human connection.
TOPICS: This webinar is focused on some of the aspects that are beyond the postures discussed in Jo's book. She'll go into mat work and how to create training dialogues. She hopes to discuss the following points in the seminar (subject to change):
- What is real dog yoga?
- Why do some dogs fail in traditional training environments - even force-free ones?
- HOW do we know when something in the training environment is poisonous to our dogs?
- Contra Freeloading: Trusting the desire to work
- Eyes on the prize: how watching food can remove choice with vulnerable dogs
- What happens to the brain when we stop and put our tools down?
- What is meant by a mutual training dialogue?
- HOW do we train using the Yoga protocol
- The smart way to use a visual discriminator
- Base positions and using stillness to start on the right foot
- Breaking as part of the process of learning
- Measuring pace
- Troubleshooting when things go wrong
This is a lot of material! If we happen to go long, don't worry, as it will be recorded. But I'd suggest setting some time aside afterwards, in case it does go long.
Jo has a degree in psychology and specialised in zoology; specifically attachment theory in young mammals. She also achieved post graduate qualifications in canine psychology and specialised in aggression. She is a full member of the Institute of Modern Dog Trainers (IMDT).
Jo has enjoyed working for The Blue Cross and also The Company of Animals before she started her company School4Dogs, which has 5 trainers and covers East Sussex in the UK. As well as being the recommended behaviourist for many rescue centres and vets, Jo also works as an expert witness for the courts in dangerous dog cases.
Along with numerous magazine articles and radio appearances, Jo has written a book about Calming Postures (called The Real Dog Yoga) which is available through Amazon and also Dogbooksonline.com in both English and German. She has also committed to two further titles with the same publishers.
She has lectured internationally including at the Dog Event in Paris earlier this year and also lectures for the Institute of Modern Dog Trainers. In her spare time, Jo enjoys clicker training lots of animals from ponies to chickens. She uses her own pit bull, Vizsla and Border Collie, chickens, Falabella pony and her Bengal cat for TV and filming work. Animal Actors represent the animals. She has done work with Vogue magazine, Cosmopolitan, GQ, Topshop, adverts for Channel 4, BBC and ITV along with short films, two comedy series for ITV and a BBC short film.
About This Event:
- All online events on this site are listed in the Pacific time zone, which is PDT in the summer and PST the rest of the year (enter Seattle in the Time Zone Converter)
- Attend right here on this page!
- Will be recorded
- Streaming on your computer or mobile device (not a download or a physical DVD)
- Watch the recording many times as you want!
- Run time: 1 hr 30 mins
- Pro Members get CPDT CEUs
Save on your webinar by getting a Building Blocks membership at the same time. Members get discounts here in the Campus Store, plus unlimited access to tons of video lessons.
Purchase: Webinar - Real Dog Yoga
* Student Members get access to tons of how-to videos, discounts in our Campus Store, and access to other resources in our community. Does not automatically renew.
** Pro Members get all of the Student Member benefits, plus bigger discounts, Animal World Superstars interviews, and more features for dog trainers. Hobby trainers are welcome - you need not be a working professional. Does not automatically renew.