Please log in as a Pro member to see the recording of Grisha's January, 2016 interview with dog trainer Emily Larlham below.
If you are not yet a member, we hope you will join us for the live interviews and other great features of our school. Click here for membership info.
Don't miss our February interview with Dr. Helen Zulch, behaviorist from the UK, of Puppy Life Skills fame. February 23, 12 noon to 12:45 pm PST. We also have some great upcoming online and in-person seminars.
Topics for questions: clicker training, luring, tricks, fear, anxiety, relaxation, useful skills to teach dogs, improving your dog training technique.
Questions from the interview:
- I notice you (and many trainers) have an interesting tone of voice when you are training your dogs. Do you do this intentionally? If so, could you talk about it?
- What inspired you to start the Kikopup channel?
- Where do you get your ideas [for YouTube videos] from?
- Your Progressive Reinforcement Manifesto does a great job of clarifying what kind of training you do. Can you summarize the manifesto for our students?
- You’re getting a new puppy, Wish, tomorrow. How did you choose this particular puppy?
- I would love to hear more about how Emily manages with all the dogs she has in her household and what are her tips for multiple dog owners?
- How are you going to introduce Wish to the other dogs?
- What else do you have in place to set everyone up for success?
- What training video of yours was one of the biggest learning experiences for you personally?
- My 5 month pharaoh hound mix tends to stop during leashed walks since day one. She walks next to me on loose leash, no pulling, but frequently she'll stop and look around (no triggers found so far). We've worked on "let's go" and giving in to gentle leash pressure, but often i have to wait. Apart from that, she's good on long off leash walks and won't separate too much . Any advice?
- What advice do you have for people who want to become dog trainers?
- What advice do you have for dog trainers who want to learn about more advanced training?
- I really like the calm settle command with different examples of how places can excite behavior. I carry an old yoga matt with me everywhere for practice. Thank you for that..! Could you give some tips on asking dogs to "offer" more behaviors? The only thing my dog will offer without a command is a request for more petting... (she learned through Grisha's 5 second petting rule....)
- how do you balance a healthy diet (either kibble, wet, raw homemade...) with the frequent treating during the day? Sometimes I struggle, as high value treats work much better for reinforcing, but I don't wanna make my dog a fattie with so many treats through the day. 🙂
- You've lived in a love different places. Could you compare the difference in how people take care of their dogs in different countries?
- Did you see yourself as a dog trainer? Or were you on a path towards something else and your dog changed all that?
About Emily Larlham
Emily Larlham runs the dog training business Dogmantics. She resides in San Diego, California. She is well known around the world for her popular Youtube channel ‘Kikopup’ with over 200 in-depth dog training tutorials. Emily created the term Progressive Reinforcement Training to describe an ethical way of training animals that involves no form of physical or psychological intimidation.
Emily has conducted seminars on Progressive Reinforcement Training in North and South America, Europe, Africa, Australia and Asia. She began her career as an animal caregiver at a shelter where she took care of all types of dogs and raised rooms full of puppies. She apprenticed with her mentor Kyle Rayon for 5 years, learning from and working with thousands of shelter dogs. Emily then started her own business. She combines her artistic background and training skills to invent creative, fast and reliable ways to solve problem behaviors as well as train complex behaviors and tricks.
Emily’s motto is: ‘Dogs are the best teachers.’