We answer members' pet training and behavior questions in live sessions, which are recorded and provided here for easy access. Please log in or sign up for a Student or Pro membership to see the video on this page.
Questions in this video:
- My 3 year old Dalmatian is exercised off lead in countryside. He was a friendly dog but began growling and lunging at young dogs when he was about 18months. Consequently I put him on lead if I saw a trigger approaching. Over the past year this has become much worse. He gets anxious when I attach his lead and he now lunges and barks at any unknown dog we meet. I don't know how to help him. I probably should have said: he's a nervous dog and before the growling began would always give unfamiliar dogs a wide berth so he wasn't put on lead very often.
- What to do when our dog chases our cat? Does it for the fun of chasing. Cats usually stop walking when dog approaches.
- How about "Leave it"? Dog likes to put something icky in his mouth and I want him to Leave it. How do you teach that in ABBA?
- I've worked hard on cc-ing nail clipping so I really enjoyed More Please. We've made good progress, but what do I do about getting her nails trimmed before she willingly allows me to do so? I end up "undoing" all of our good work!
Here are some of the links that Grisha referred to:
- Find a CBATI (Certified BAT Instructor) on Empowered Animals
- Find a Pet Professional Directory in ABBA
- Free BAT Leash Skills info on Empowered Animals
- Walk With Me film on leash skills in Campus Store