We answer members' pet training and behavior questions in live sessions, which are recorded and provided here for easy access. Please log in or sign up for a Student or Pro membership to see the video on this page.
Animal training and care questions in this video:
- In one Q&A Grisha showed a Bonus video tip: training for relaxation using the Premack Principle. The idea is to bring the dog to a calmer state after play? And then repeat multiple times in order to let the dog to learn how to calm himself?
- Is play with humans good break behavior during a training session?
- Can you help me understand the mechanics of increasing duration in Focused Walking? I’ve read the book, watched the video, and am trying to figure out that one piece. Sunrise reliably Touches on cue while walking, the treat she gets following the marker serves as a release. Should I increase the time/distance between cue and marker? Marker and reward? Both feel weird to me. Thanks!
- When my dog is in the middle of a "reaction", she often will not respond to me. Afterwards, she is so exhausted she goes practically limp. Is it ever a good idea to just let her bark it out instead of trying to distract her? Then, go on to the sitting, or other activities?
- How to select a great dog trainer. If you have many options to choose from, for example more than one CBATI trainers what should one look for and expect?
- How does one become a good client?
- My dog barks at a sound out side the home. Should I ask him to "leave it" and pay for food reward? Will my dog learn to look for a food reward when hearing the sound?
- I was watching TV last night with my dog beside me on the couch. When my boyfriend tried to sit down, my dog growled at him. This has never happened before. What should I do to fix this?
Links Grisha referred to in this session (or could have):
- Do I Need a Professional Dog Trainer? (and how to choose one) from the Member Library
- Dog Training Class Etiquette for tips on being a good client in a group class
- Family Safety category in the Member Library
- Animal Magnetism (keep this in mind when coming up with ways to get the dog off of the couch)