Please log in as a Pro member to see the recording of Grisha's November, 2016 interview with dog trainer Jordan Shelley below.
If you are not yet a member, we hope you will join us for the interviews and other great features of our school. Click here for membership info.
Note that we have some great upcoming online and in-person seminars.
Topics for questions: dog training, group classes for fear and reactivity, crossover trainer experiences, cultural differences among dog people.
Questions from the interview:
- How did you transition from "traditional" (correction-based) dog training to positive dog training?
- As you transitioned into positive training, what habits were hard to overcome?
- What were the benefits of switching over to positive dog training?
- Can you tell us about your 2-day reactivity workshops for the public?
- How are the courses run?
- Can you compare the different dog cultures around the world?
- You've done a lot of rescue and fostering, can you talk about your opinions in that arena?
- What's your opinion of dog shows, like Crufts?
- What advice would you give to someone considering becoming a professional dog trainer?
- What project(s) are you working on now?
Links and tidbits from the interview:
- Workshops offered by Jordan Shelley's school: Pet Training School
- Information on cognitive dissonance. Jordan scores big points in my book for overcoming that and choosing to learn more instead of just digging in and getting defensive. Video of a song about cognitive dissonance and Wikipedia.
About Jordan Shelley:
Jordan is a talented dog trainer based in the UK. He is one of the most famous crossover trainers in the world, who switched from traditional force-based training to positive dog training after a giant backlash against his appearance on BBC's "One Show."
Here's some information about Jordan's transformation as a dog trainer:
- "Your Dog" article: Change of heart - How I changed my dog training techniques
- Dogstar Daily interview
- Older article criticizing the show: BBC Dog Trainer Jordan Shelley Triggers Controversy With His Training Methods