BAT® helps animals gain confidence and social skills. BAT is a natural method that creates an emotionally safe interaction with minimal intrusion. BAT is especially useful when the “triggers” for frustration, aggression, or fear are living beings, for example when dogs bark at or bite other dogs or people.
- BAT gives animals maximum control of safety and other significant events in their lives.
- BAT arranges safe scenarios where animals can socialize naturally and interact with triggers in socially acceptable ways.
What to Practice:
- Recall cue
- BAT Leash Skills – practice wandering walks without a trigger
- BAT set-ups (See the new BAT Basics PDF)
- Survival Skills for Real Life
Once you have the leash skills down, you can do a BAT set-up. Here is what a simple BAT set-up looks like:
BAT in Brief: Follow your dog on a loose leash. Any direction is okay, except for straight at the trigger.
Tip: If he walks toward the helper in a focused way, slowly stop him. If you see any signs of increasing stress, call your dog away.
More info on BAT is available as a printable PDF on our handouts page. Look for handouts on BAT Basics, BAT Leash Skills, and BAT Troubleshooting.
Don’t forget to round out your education with the brand new BAT 2.0 book, full length videos, and/or online courses. I also have live and recorded seminars and we ship fabulous custom-made long leashes worldwide.