I believe that quality dog education should be available to all, which is why we already have a low monthly membership rate of to access every single fantastic online class at the Grisha Stewart Academy (GSA). Click here for info on the Diamond Membership and the Library Pass.
This scholarship grants access to the Grisha Stewart Academy for 1) People of the Global Majority (PGM, also called BIPOC – Black, Indigenous, People of Color), who historically have faced many barriers in the dog training industry, and 2) anyone who is not able to afford the membership (including white people).
Scholarships awarded to People of the Global Majority grant lifetime Diamond membership; i.e., those scholarships do not expire, eliminating the paywall for PGM at the Grisha Stewart Academy (of course, you’re also welcome to sign up to pay for a membership if you prefer).
Financial need-based scholarships do not grant lifetime access to GSA content, but are renewable every 6 months.
If you are a Person of the Global Majority OR the monthly membership is truly not affordable for you, please consider applying for a Diamond membership scholarship (below). As a scholarship recipient, we hope you will participate fully in the community, learn as much as you can, discover (and share) ways to help all beings fight systemic oppression, and use the information to boost your dog training/behavior career if that’s your professional goal.
If you are white and you actually *can* afford a Diamond Membership or Library Pass, please use the link to register without the scholarship. I appreciate your support in the important work of making the world a kinder place for people and non-human animals. Thank you for your honesty in not taking advantage of this scholarship that I’m funding myself. 🙂 I’m not struggling, but I’m also not rich! 🙂
Having people only apply for scholarships when they truly need it allows me to not limit the number of scholarships, so everyone who needs this help can benefit.
Note: Separately from this scholarship, I also offer a bundle of free classes to non-profit shelters and rescues. Click here for shelter scholarship info.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS:
- Is there a deadline for this application?
Applications may be submitted at any time, but are processed in order of reception four times per year (see below). There’s no need to wait, you can apply right now.
- When will I hear back?
You will get a little message immediately on the bottom of screen to confirm your application has sent (below the submit button). If that doesn’t appear, it wasn’t sent. If the message is there, it was sent. Then you just wait for a few months – you likely won’t hear back from us until it’s processing time:
Processing Months for 2024 are March, June, September and December.
- How do I determine if I can afford the membership?
Here’s information on the Diamond Membership and also information about the Library Pass.
I will take you on your word as to whether you can afford these options or not. I do ask you to use your best judgement so as to make this available to people who do truly need it. Also please keep in mind that the academy isn’t a mega-corporation, it’s a small woman-owned company, and we rely on the income from memberships to keep things going.
- If you live in a country where dog trainers only earn $10 US per hour, by all means, get the scholarship!
- If you have to choose between using this money to getting an education or buying business cards and a website, get the scholarship.
- If you have discretionary spending that you could change without hardship to be able to afford the membership (especially money that’s going to a corporation), I’d prefer that you do a regular membership instead of a scholarship. If you take a look at your monthly expenses, you might be surprised by how much money goes out to optional items.
- If you would use the money saved here to spend at another dog school, please get a regular Diamond membership and not the scholarship (unless it’s a PGM-owned school!) There’s so much here to learn, from so many world-class instructors, that your brain will be full, anyway.
- Which classes can I attend with the scholarship?
All of them. Scholarship recipients are regular Diamond members and can participate fully in any and all of our live or recorded classes, even the ones for the CBATI-KA program. That’s right, you could become a Certified BAT Instructor – Knowledge Assessed. The membership duration requirement is waived for scholarship recipients.
NOTE: Diamond members, including scholarship recipients, pay an assessment fee for the CBATI-KA exam. The full fee is $100 and scholarship recipients pay 50% of that, i.e., US$50.
- Will this scholarship grant me lifetime access to GSA content?
Scholarships awarded to People of the Global Majority grant lifetime Diamond membership; i.e., those scholarships do not expire. Financial need-based scholarships do not grant lifetime access to GSA content, but are renewable every 6 months with an additional application.
- What if I can’t afford it right now, but having the education means I can start working as a dog trainer and earning enough to pay for a membership?
Awesome! That’s the best case scenario.If you no longer need the scholarship, contact us and we can either help you get set up for a regular membership, or we can get you a coupon code (upon request) to make the first few months half off and make the transition easier.
- I can sort of afford the membership, but some months may be too tight. What should I do?
Thanks for your honesty! We can give you a partial scholarship, half off for 6 months. Or you can always put your membership on pause if you won’t be using it as much. Contact us for details.
- Can I share this page?
Yes! Scholarships are not competitive. Please share so others may benefit.
- Who do I contact if I have questions?
Contact our office using this form. Thanks!
* Note: I recognize some folks prefer the phrasing ‘disabled people.’ The phrasing I used here was preferred by the person with disabilities on our small (but mighty) team.