This is an archived of a live course, so all lessons are on-demand and you can go at your own pace.
If you are registered, please log in and/or refresh this page.
BAT Set-Ups Practice Course: Main topics
- How to coach clients to use BAT for dog aggression, frustration, and fear, including the BAT leash skills.
- How to choose a training location to do BAT.
- How to choose and change the environment to promote exploration and safety.
- How to manage training set-ups in real-time, to maximize learning and minimize stress.
- Shelter-specific advice for dog reactivity.
- This course is made up entirely of videos, which were live and are now available in recorded form.
In this innovative course, BAT developer Grisha Stewart coached an animal shelter team doing live BAT set-ups and other techniques for dog reactivity.
Grisha was live on video chat with a team at Providence Animal Center in Pennsylvania, with the help of Certified BAT Instructor Laura Harrington. Laura was on-site for hands-on instruction and training set-up management.
Following the training session, Grisha then went over the sessions in an additional live video.
All raw and review sessions were recorded for you to see!
The dog in this course was adopted partway through, so Grisha also worked with the new family. The dog was a spayed female bully X with overarousal, frustration, and aggression issues toward other dogs.
All live videos were recorded and stay in your library to view at your own pace. Viewing all Review Sessions in this course will earn CEUs for Pro members who are CPDT trainers. Your Pro membership must be current on the reporting date of April 1 or October 1.
Some understanding of Behavior Adjustment Training (BAT 2.0) is required.
- The fastest way to get that is to boost your understanding ASAP is to buy the streaming Empowered Animals BAT 2.0 video series (also available as a 6-DVD set).
- You can also read the BAT 2.0 book,
- take the 6 week BAT 101 course,
- or attend a weekend BAT seminar.
What is the Format of This Course?
The shelter team met for 6 sessions, and you get to see them all, in raw format and reviewed again with Grisha:
- The shelter team watched the Empowered Animals BAT 2.0 series (not included with this course).
- The team met with Grisha to work some on leash skills and test technology.
- Session 1 is a Q&A from the videos, a brief history of the dog, and practice with BAT leash skills, as well as going over the features of the training area(s).
- Sessions 2-6 focus on training set-ups, with BAT and whatever else seems appropriate at the time.
What YOU will be getting in this course:
- There are two videos per training session:
- Raw Sessions, in which Grisha coached the team remotely, and
- Review Sessions in which Grisha went over the video with live course students and some members of the shelter team.
- Review Sessions: These are the main course content.
- Chat Transcripts: Live attendees asked questions during the Review Sessions using a chat window. This text is included in the course materials.
- Raw Sessions: These are the raw footage of the training sessions, in real-time, without commentary.
- On-Demand Access. Course content doesn't expire. It will remain in your library to view at any time.
- Pro ABBA members also earn 9 CPDT CEUs for watching all 6 of the Review videos. Click here for details.
About the Instructor
This course is presented by Grisha Stewart, MA, CPDT-KA, KPACTP. Leash skills are heavily emphasized in this practical course, because they are the very foundation of BAT.
Shelter: This course works with dogs at the newly redesigned Providence Animal Center in Media, Pennsylvania.
A portion of proceeds went to the shelter and adopters of all student and helper dogs in this course got a free copy of the BAT book, the Ahimsa Dog Training Manual, and the streaming Empowered Animals BAT 2.0 series as an adoption gift.
If you want your shelter to participate in this course next time, please contact us.
Harnesses: All dogs in the course wore the Balance Harness created by Lori Stevens, generously donated by Blue-9.
Here are the list of posts in this course. The links won't work unless you're logged in and registered for the course.
- On-Site Cameras (Raw sessions from a different angle)
- Chat Transcript for Review Session 3
- Session 0 Raw: Leash Skills Pretraining
- Session 1 Raw: Intro, Leash Skills, Meeting the Dog
- Session 1 Review: Intro, Leash Skills, Meeting the Dog
- Session 2 Raw: BAT Set-up
- Session 2 Review: BAT Set-up
- Session 3 Raw: BAT Set-up (Sophie Adopted!)
- Session 3 Review: BAT Set-up
- Session 4 Raw: BAT Set-up
- Session 4 Review: BAT Set-up
- Session 5 Raw: BAT Set-up
- Session 5 Review: BAT Set-up
- Session 6 Raw: Parallel Play, Zig-Zag Mark & Move
- Session 6 Review: Parallel Play, Zig-Zag Mark & Move
Save on your course by getting a Building Blocks membership at the same time. Members get discounts here in the Campus Store, plus unlimited access to tons of video lessons.
Purchase: BAT Practice Course On Demand
* Student Members get access to tons of how-to videos, discounts in our Campus Store, and access to other resources in our community. Does not automatically renew.
** Pro Members get all of the Student Member benefits, plus bigger discounts, Animal World Superstars interviews, and more features for dog trainers. Hobby trainers are welcome - you need not be a working professional. Does not automatically renew.