- How to coach clients to use BAT for dog aggression, frustration, and fear, including the BAT leash skills.
- How to choose a training location to do BAT.
- How to choose and change the environment to promote exploration and safety.
- How to manage training set-ups in real-time, to maximize learning and minimize stress.
- Shelter-specific advice for dog reactivity.
In this innovative course, BAT developer Grisha Stewart will coach an animal shelter team as they learn to do BAT set-ups for dog reactivity. Grisha will be live on video chat with the shelter, with the help of Certified BAT Instructor Laura Harrington. Laura is on-site for hands-on instruction and training set-up management.
And you'll get to see it all!
We haven't made our final selection for dog yet, because the shelter population can change so quickly. But we will definitely be working with a dog who shows aggression, fear, and/or frustration to other dogs. If the dog gets adopted, we will hopefully keep working with the new caregiver, or we may work with another dog.
We’ve got you covered! All live videos will be recorded and stay in your library to view at your own pace. This course will earn CEUs for Pro members who are CPDT trainers. Your Pro membership must be current on the reporting date of April 1.
Prerequisite: Some understanding of Behavior Adjustment Training (BAT 2.0).
- The fastest way to get that is to boost your understanding ASAP is to buy the streaming Empowered Animals BAT 2.0 video series (also available as a 6-DVD set).
- You can also read the BAT 2.0 book,
- take the 6 week BAT 101 course,
- or attend a weekend BAT seminar.
The shelter team meets for 6 sessions:
- Pretraining: The shelter team will watch the Empowered Animals BAT 2.0 series (not included with this course)
- Session 1 is a Q&A from the videos, a brief history of the dog, and practice with BAT leash skills, as well as going over the features of the training area(s).
- Sessions 2-6 focus on training set-ups, with BAT and whatever else seems appropriate at the time.
What YOU will be getting in this course:
- There are two weekly videos: live Raw Sessions, in which Grisha coaches a shelter team remotely, and also Review Sessions in which Grisha comes back on live to explore the sessions with course students and the shelter team.
- Session Reviews: These are the main course content. Grisha will be reviewing the weekly training sessions on Fridays from 7 am to about 8:30 am Pacific time. Grisha will be live on audio and sometimes video.
- You can ask questions during the Session Reviews using a chat window.
- Bonus: We will share the LIVE training sessions on Wednesdays at 7 am Pacific. Technology can be glitchy, and we expect that sometimes this may not work, so this isn't the main feature of the course. Please consider this a bonus, and if it works, yay!
When the live feed appears for the Raw Sessions, you'll be able to share comments and questions, but we may not get to them until the review session on Fridays. We meet for two hours and plan to do about 30 minutes total of set-ups with the dogs.
- Recordings of the Raw Sessions and Session Reviews will be available later, too, for you to watch any time.
- Pro ABBA members also earn 9 CPDT CEUs. Click here for details.
This course is taught by Grisha Stewart, MA, CPDT-KA, KPACTP. Leash skills will be heavily emphasized in this practical course, because they are the very foundation of BAT.
Note: Intro to BAT is a pre-requisite for all of the later BAT courses. If you already registered for this course elsewhere, you get free access here in ABBA. [Access Request Info]
Here are the list of posts in this course, which will eventually include the live videos. The links don't work unless you're logged in and registered for the course.
- Getting Started: Course Overview
- Week 0: Leash Skills Pretraining – Available now
- Week 1 Raw: Intro, Leash Skills, Meeting the Dog (Weds 1/15) – Available Now
- Week 1 Review: Intro, Leash Skills, Meeting the Dog (Fri 1/17) – Available Now
- Week 2 Raw: BAT Set-up (Weds 1/22)
- Week 2 Review: BAT Set-up (Fri 1/24)
- Week 3 Raw: BAT Set-up (Weds 1/29)
- Week 3 Review: BAT Set-up (Fri 1/31)
- Week 4 Raw: BAT Set-up (Weds 2/5)
- Week 4 Review: BAT Set-up (Fri 2/7)
- Week 5 Raw: BAT Set-up (Weds 2/12)
- Week 5 Review: BAT Set-up (Fri 2/14)
- Week 6 Raw: BAT Set-up (Weds 2/19)
- Week 6 Review: BAT Set-up (Fri 2/21)
Shelter: We are working with dogs at the newly redesigned Providence Animal Center in Media, Pennsylvania.
A portion of proceeds will go to the shelter and adopters of all student and helper dogs in this course will get a free copy of the BAT book, the Ahimsa Dog Training Manual, and the streaming Empowered Animals BAT 2.0 series as an adoption gift.
If you'd like to adopt one of these dogs or want your shelter to participate in this course next time, please contact us.
Harnesses: All dogs in the course will be wearing the Balance Harness created by Lori Stevens, generously donated by Blue-9.
Studio audience: If you'd like to be part of the studio audience (with me in Eugene, Oregon, not with the student dog), please register for the course and let me know if you're coming on Wednesdays or Fridays, or both. I might put you to work helping me answer questions.
Save on your course by getting a Building Blocks membership at the same time. Members get discounts here in the Campus Store, plus unlimited access to tons of video lessons.
Purchase: ShelterBAT Online Course
* Student Members get access to tons of how-to videos, discounts in our Campus Store, and access to other resources in our community. Does not automatically renew.
** Pro Members get all of the Student Member benefits, plus bigger discounts, Animal World Superstars interviews, and more features for dog trainers. Hobby trainers are welcome - you need not be a working professional. Does not automatically renew.